Provisional Psychologist – Internship
Have you completed a five-year sequence of accredited tertiary study or in your second year of the 4+2 pathway?
Are you eligible for Provisional registration with the AHPRA- PBA?
Are you seeking an opportunity to develop your clinical skills in the not-for-profit sector?
Position and reporting relationship within the organisation
Responsible to: Managing Director
Hours: 0.6 EFT – Minimum 17 hrs/ week
Term: 6 months minimum
Location: Ascot Vale
Employment Type: Volunteer
Melbourne Affordable Psychology (MAP) is a charitable social enterprise. We are registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission. MAP aims to provide low-cost psychological treatment options for all individuals.
We also provide Provisional Psychologists the opportunity to develop their skills for general registration.
The Provisional Psychologist will provide clients with assessment, formulation and psychological intervention as well as psycho-education programs to individuals, group and organisations.
Weekly individual supervision (AHPRA approved), peer consultation and mentoring are provided on-site by Senior Psychologists, Provisional Psychologists, and other staff.
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to remain calm and reflective in crisis situations
- Ability to plan and coordinate multiple tasks
- Creative and flexible approach to engaging others
- Understanding and commitment to working with a team
- Relevant experience in, or capability to provide individual or group therapy.
- AHPRA registration or eligibility to register as a provisional psychologist
- Understanding of the DSM-5 in the diagnosis of mental health disorders
- Understanding of evidence-based psychological interventions
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of client groups
- Highly organised and excellent attention to detail
- Emotionally resilient and proactive
- Ability to manage a significant caseload
- Autonomous and self-directed
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent computer skills
Duties and responsibilities
- Conduct initial assessments with individuals presenting with psychological concerns to obtain information regarding diagnosis, clinical signs and symptoms, treatment management plan, psychosocial barriers and protective factors, and the establishment of treatment goals and intervention plans.
- Case formulation
- Using DSM 5 or ICD 11 for diagnosis
- Mental status examinations
- Suicide risk assessments
- Administration, scoring and interpretation of a variety of psychometric assessments such as SCID-5, PAI, WAIS, WISC, DASS, ORS & SRS, SDS, YSQ.
- Cognitive behavioural therapy, Motivational Interviewing, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Interpersonal Therapy, Dialectical Behavioural Therapy, Schema Therapy. This list is not exhaustive.
- Intervention planning based on empirically supported principles
- Individual counselling, both short and long-term.
- Group Therapy/Psycho-education programs.
- Utilise clinical skills to identify presenting problems based on the outcome of the interview and objective assessments.
- Utilise literature to identify target problem intervention strategies
- Request and utilise client feedback to improve the quality of interventions and better provide service.
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of legal and ethical responsibilities associated with the provision of psychological services.
- Engage in the necessary professional development to complete the requirements of the provisional psychologist internship.
- Undertake ongoing personal and professional development to maintain the appropriate level of professional and technical skills to provide the best possible levels of service to clients.
- Undertake necessary supervision to ensure the highest levels of professionalism, development, and levels of client service.
- Liaise with members of the community and referral sources
- Prepare reports when required
- Administration associated with a private practice
- Liaise with Directors, Board and Finance Department
- Support and preparation of funding applications
- Maintain accurate client records in keeping with ethical and professional responsibilities.
- Accurate use of practice management software.
- Establish and maintain professional relationships with key medical practitioners.
- Marketing and social media
- General Office duties as directed
For more information regarding the position please call 0455 850 064
Applicants, please email applications to:
Ms Katy Dib
Melbourne Affordable Psychology
Email Subject line- Internship Application [your name]
The internship is subject to satisfactory Psychological Assessment, Working with Children Check, Psychological Assessment, Insurance, National Criminal Record Check and references.